Items

Forums
Camarillo White Horse History
 By Saferaphus   •   2nd Aug 2017   •   290 views   •   0 comments


Most horses that are white didnít start out that way. Horses that are white are often actually greys. They start out a dark color and as they age, their hair coat turns white. The skin color of a grey horse, even though its coat has turned entirely white, is grey. So there are very few horses that we see that are truly white with no pigment in their skin or coat. But there are indeed exceptions such as the Camarillo White Horse.

The Camarillo White horse is not a new breed but it has always been rare. Established just over a hundred years ago from a single stallion, the breed existed almost solely in California. The foundation stallion, Sultan, was said to be a Spanish Mustang, pure white in color. Sultan was crossed with Morgan mares, and for the first half of the breedís history, the offspring was only owned by the one family that developed it.

Although its color is important, early crosses with Morgan horses helped make the Camarillo White Horse more than just a color breed. A specific showy, sturdy type was also ideal. One family, whose last name was Camarillo, controlled the breeding of these horses. It wasnít until the death of the founderís daughter in 1987, that the horses were sold and the exclusive ownership by the Camarillo family came to an end.

By the early 1990s however, there were only 11 of the horses left. So, it was decided that a Camarillo White Horse Association should be formed and horses of other breeds crossed to bolster the bloodlines. To ensure the hardiness, other breeds were introduced such as Standardbreds, and Andalusians. By the following year, there were 15 horses in the registry

These horses with brilliant white coats and the presence of the Morgan and Mustang ancestors were popular sights in parades and other events. They appeared regularly at the Tournament of Roses Parade in California.

Breeding all white horses is a challenge and not without its pitfalls. The white coat color occurs thanks to a dominant white gene. If both mare and stallion give this dominant gene to the foal, it will not survive to term. When two white horses are bred, there is only a 50% chance they will produce a white foal. There is a 25% the foal will be another color, and there is a 25% the foal will not survive.

This is not Lethal White syndrome, that leads to complications when breeding Paint Horses. Because breeders are concerned with not just the color, but the quality of the foals they breed for, the Association's motto is ďBreed for conformation and pray for a white foal.Ē

Thanks to genetic science, identifying true Camarillo White horses has become easier. The gene that gives the horses the white color and pink skin is a mutation. An inexpensive test can determine if the horse you wish to breed has the specific ĎW4 mutationí unique to the Camarillo White Horse.

These horses are not albinos. Albino horses donít actually exist. Another North American breed, the American White Horse also has a similar background, and genetic story.
Horse News More PB Articles About:  Camarillo,
Horse News More In This Category:  Breeds      Horse News More From This Author:  Saferaphus
 More News by Saferaphus
Horses Set Free To Escape California Wild Fires
9th Dec 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
In the path of one blaze was Rancho Padilla in Tujunga Canyon, a family owned ranch where 30 of the 60 horses stabled there were lost to the fire. There was no time to evacuate the horses, as the buildings were already on fire whe ...
The Other Horse Races
8th Dec 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
We know that Thoroughbreds, Standardbreds, Arabians, American Quarter Horses and Appaloosas are commonly used for racing, albeit Standardbreds are less used for races under saddle than in harness. But there are other breeds that y ...
Influential Equestrians You Should Know
5th Dec 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
Many trainers have influenced how we train and treat horses over the ages. There have been many philosophies about how horses should be handled. Here is a look at a few of the most influential equestrians over the centuries. ...
Winterizing Your Tack Box
3rd Dec 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
As I write this snow is gently sifting downwards, and enough is already on the ground to cover the grass. Apparently there is something call meteorological winter that starts on December 1, even though itís not officially 'calenda ...
Training For All Ages
1st Dec 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
Itís said that we never really stop teaching our horses. Every time we handle or ride them, they are learning something from us. This is why consistent handling is so important. And training doesnít begin when we start to introduc ...
Should You Wear A Helmet All the Time
28th Nov 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
A recent study suggests that only 7% of us wear our helmets while grooming our horses. There doesn't seem to be any statistics about how many of wear our helmets while handling horses from the ground at other times, such as feedin ...
Why Does My Horse Stumble
24th Nov 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
We all stumble sometimes, and thatís perfectly normal. So it follows that our horses are going to take a misstep now and then. They have twice as many legs as we do after all. The occasional trip up isnít something to be worried a ...
Trotters and Pacers Racing Under Saddle
22nd Nov 2017   |   Breeds   |   Saferaphus
Itís known as RUS or racing under saddle. In Europe, itís known as Montť racing or trot Montť. And in recent years, there have been a number of events held in North America, and associations formed for those who want to take part. ...
  View All News by Saferaphus
 
©2002 - 2017   PonyBox LLC Create Account Terms & Conditions Privacy Contact Us
323 Members Online 238,317 Registered Members 2,364 News Articles 9,619,269 Unique News Article Views 208,168,926 Website Views