Items

Forums
The Dark Side of Australian Horse Racing
 By Winniefield Park   •   3rd Nov 2019   •   58 views   •   1 comments


After two years of investigation a report about the fate of Australia’s race horse population has been released by ABC-News In-Depth. The video, about 49 minutes in length, reveals what happens to horses after their time at the track is over. The video follows horses as they go through the slaughter pipeline. This video is very difficult to watch and begins with a warning that it is not ‘family viewing’.
Horse News More In This Category:  Horse Rescue and Abuse      Horse News More From This Author:  Winniefield Park
Valkyrie  MOD 
It's been proven that at least one of the horses mentioned in this video as killed is still alive. Also - the original rehomer of War End (a jockey who rode him while he raced) struggled to find him a reliable place to live. He was passed on through several hands long AFTER he left the track (and her hands) and despite one of those people promising her he wouldn't end up slaughtered he disappeared not long after. She didn't see him again until this video.

NSW horse racing regulations require owners to register a home for a retiring horse. From their official records only 1% of Thoroughbreds are listed as heading to slaughter directly from the racetrack. If any of the other 99% end up at slaughter (often YEARS down the track) it is not the fault of the racing industry. It is the fault of the equestrian(s) the horse has landed with.

Despite the fact that the industry is not liable for horses who have been out of their system for YEARS, racing in Australia has since pledged around $
  1 days ago  •  3 views
 More News by Winniefield Park
Video Of Heroic Horse Galloping Back Into California Wildfires
11th Nov 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
A video of a horse galloping back into a California wildfire to bring a mare and foal back into its herd demonstrates an amazing example of herd dynamics has gone viral. The video shows a dark-colored horse galloping back into the ...
Another Caleche Horse Collapses Weeks Before Ban
9th Nov 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
Calèche horses in the city of Montreal are again in the focus of animal rights activists. This time a horse slipped as it crossed a metal plate and ended up lying on its side in the street. Although the police found no abuse of th ...
FAA Announces New Therapy Horses Regulation on Planes
4th Nov 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
Recently, the FAA announced new regulations regarding service and emotional support animals on commercial airlines flights. Part of the new regulations recognize that horses are used in this capacity and they now allow miniature h ...
Watch Out For The Kelpies
3rd Nov 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
Imagine the looks on everyone’s faces as you trotted into a jump off on your purebred Kelpie! What’s a Kelpie? A Kelpie is a shapeshifter, most often portrayed a horse, that inhabit Scottish lochs. They sometimes appear as a human ...
Controversial Wild Horse Senate Bill
1st Nov 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
A controversial bill is headed to the US senate. Those who approve of the measures set out in the bill, which includes sterilizing mares, say it will effectively control the size of the wild horse herds, ensure the humane treatmen ...
Winter 2019 Hay Shortage
27th Oct 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
Just a few months after the harvest of the 2019 crop, and many months before the first hay crops of 2020 are brought in horse owners in western Canada are running into shortages. While other areas have struggled with drought, some ...
PonyBox Horse Rankings
26th Oct 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
Rankings can change quickly, but some horses seem to stick close to the top longer than others. And some stables seem to produce great horses very consistently. Here are just a few that have achieved top rank, and could stay close ...
The Extreme Mustang Makeover Challenge
22nd Oct 2019   |   Horse Rescue and Abuse   |   Winniefield Park
Sam VanFleet is a twenty-year-old former A-circuit jumper competitor who has found her passion in gentling Mustangs and PMU foals. She has been posting videos of her latest project, a mustang mare she is training for the Player’s ...
  View All News by Winniefield Park
 
©2002 - 2019   PonyBox LLC Create Account Terms & Conditions Privacy Contact Us
188 Members Online 254,730 Registered Members 2,629 News Articles 11,130,522 Unique News Article Views 261,559,905 Website Views